Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wrapping up 2013 and looking forward to a new year!

Well, My St Ciaran Shawl has been temporarily put on hold while I am finishing my Men's Zip Neck Pullover, and the Aran Island mittens for my Grandmother.  Even though I first learned how to knit 30 years ago, It wasn't until this last year that I became a heavy, daily knitter.  My stash has now taken over my spare room and my project que continues to grow.  I find with knitting that bravery comes with time.  I've also learned the hard way never to think you know it all.  Last January I knitted the "Marshal" sport pullover in 100% Baby Alpaca. I didn't think much of having to decrease the space between my increases while knitting the arm in order to get all my increases in before the arm was done!  Ok, so I clearly had a problem right from the get go.  But, I thought, I can fix it, I'll just spritz the damn thing when it's done.  Wrong!  Alpaca should come with a warning label that reads something like this, "WARNING, if you do not block your swatch, you will cry many tears."  So lesson learned, humility is key.  When we think we know it all, we stop learning.  2013 has been a great year and I've learned so much about knitting.  At one time (I can't believe I'm telling you this) I used to seam my knitted sweaters from the wrong side, sometimes even using a single crochet!  Well, when I first learned how to knit, there was no internet of course, I did not know anybody else who knitted, and I was a self taught knitter with a couple of beginner's books and no mentor.  I could go on.....  So here's to 2014, and may I continue to grow as a knitter and (future knitwear designer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment